Blog #4: Accessibility

 One of my recent interests has been the idea of a “dyslexia friendly library” and what that means. My personal research began when I noticed some tweets referencing Dyslexia Friendly Library | Pqbd. With my literacy and MTSS work over the last three years in my district, I have learned more about reading difficulties such as dyslexia, so I was even more interested in how my growing knowledge would help me as a librarian.

The Dyslexia Friendly Library effort I shared here is out of Virginia. There are a lot of resources embedded throughout the site. One that has been helpful to me personally and professionally has been the WebAIM: Contrast Checker. I struggle at times with my own weak vision and learning more about WebAIM: Visual Disabilities helped me to realize that there is more to consider about color contrast and accessibility. And, there is a reason I struggle! For a long time, I thought it was a personal preference issue when I could not read certain colored text with certain backgrounds online. The more I realize my own vision challenges require contrast, the more I understand how this matters in a greater way.

To learn more about why this matters, check out WebAIM: Contrast and Color Accessibility. The tool I mentioned, the WebAIM: Contrast Checker helps to test contrasts of color combinations. There is quite a bit of technical information offered in these resources from WebAIM, and I am still learning, but I wanted to share this tool, in hopes that it makes us more aware of those color choices.

Comments